Monday, October 12, 2009

My Review of The First Philadelphia Fashion Week







Yes folks, you read correctly... fashion week came to Philadelphia. Expectations were high as we were all coming down off the clouds of New York and Paris fashion week. The location was a nice little armory that gave off a goth/churchy aura. Free food and free drinks ( alcoholic) were scattered throughout the venue. This was nothing like any other fashion week, obviously.

I have to say after experiencing only one day, I was mildly disappointed. Let me tell you why:

A) 21 and over age limit. Now I understand why this might have been a good idea, to keep out the children and to allow people to have drinks. However, you leave out devoted fashionistas that have not yet hit the golden age. Especially the college students, those of which may have wanted to support their fellow designers or the publications that wanted to cover the event. It wasn't like the venue was jam packed. It probably would have been beneficial to increase the body count.
Suggestion: 18 and older would have been sufficient.

B) Anything goes seating. Honestly, this takes away from the credibility of the show. I mean anyone can sit anywhere they wanted. People were saving seats with empty drinks and in between shows people were switching around seats. The VIP area wasn't even organized. Though the placement was pretty unique ( in the middle of the circular runway), unreserved seating just seems to be tacky. I even overheard some women saying they paid for $100 VIP tickets and had to stand the entire show because the seats were full.

In addition to the VIP seating in the middle of the run way, there was a VIP section that was on a raised platform off the side of the runway. As I stood in front all I could here was " I can't see, can you sit down, you need to move." It was just unnecessary chaos and disorganization.
Suggestion: Ticket Buyers online get reserved seating, tickets at the doors get a section of seating behind the reserved. VIP seats must be reserved prior to event.

VIP Seating... during the show
C) No Dress Code. Now I know this is Philadelphia and this is their first fashion week but I thought this would have been a no brainer. There is no way I should attend an event with the title " Fashion Week" and see people in sweat pants and sneakers. I was just appalled.
Suggestion: Mandatory dress code that is strictly enforced.

D) The Models. Wilhemina modeling agency of PA ( an affiliate of Wilhemina, the national model agency) supplied the models for the shows that took place during fashion week. Now, during the student show, I was sure these models were volunteers from the school and I cut them some slack. However, upon finding out that these models were professionally hired, all I could do is shake my head in shame. I can honestly say two out of the about 15 where worthy of being on any stage modeling. I mean was there no practice time? Who are the agents/talent scouts for these people, because if it were my company they would be fired along with the models.
Suggestion: Go with Ford Models. period.



E) The Schedule. Now since these shows were all in one venue it only seems right that they be on a continuous, flowing schedule throughout the night. But that was not the case. The shows were to begin at 5pm, which they did, but there were way too many breaks in between. Real fashion week shows are between 15-20 minutes because people have lives, and they have to be on the move and Philadelphia Fashion Week should take their cues from that design as well. After every show at the Armory there were mediocre bands playing while people get more drunk and walked around the pop up stores. This also caused people to loose their seats and/or get back to their seats late, which just looked sloppy. I mean the "host" of the evening didn't begin to host until after the third fashion show, when people were about ready to leave.
Suggestion: Keep the shows going without interruption. Have the djing/bands before and after all the shows are completed.

F) The Fashions. I know I only went on Saturday, so this is based on what I observed personally, but the clothing was not up to par. If I were a designer I would not have left half of those clothes come out of my designing studio. The clothes did not fit the models properly, they were constructed poorly and some of them just missed the mark.
Suggestion: A screening process for clothing to be in the show. They have to meet a certain level of construction in order to be showed.



Ok I am not going to act like the entire thing was a bust because there were some good aspects that I think should be continued for years to come. Some of them are:


A) Food. Ahh food at a fashion show, how ironic right? Well, I happen to think it was a great idea. The food was actually delicious. My favorite was the Crab stuffed wontons, TDF ( to die for). They had min burgers, cheese snacks, onion puffs and they continued to bring out more varieties of food as the night progressed.


B) Pop up stores. This give the designer a good way of getting their clothes to the customer as they are seeing it on the runway. This works well especially for the designer whose clothes are only sold in select stores or for the up and coming designer. I was also delighted that most of the designers where the hosts of their own mini stores. It was great to see all the fashionistas mingling and bonding over leather jackets and oversized rings
( Marina Makaron Moscow)
C) The Venue. The location was prime right on the outskirts of Center City and easily accessible. It was also a great space to have fashion shows, it was edgy, dark, and vintage which are irresistible traits in clothing so you know it worked well as the home of Philly Fashion Week.

D) Website. I think the website was very helpful in understanding the events that were going on, getting tickets, reviewing the designers and seeing which days one would be most interested in. It served as a valuable resource for the event.


That was my review of the fashion week. I know people may say I was being too hard on Philly's fist try, but I believe that if you have prototypes ( NYFW, PFW, MFW, etc) then there should be no excuses for a below par event.

I mean I know Philadelphia is not exactly a fashion capital, but I do think there could be potential. There are great designers/ label that come from Philadelphia, one in particular that I wish was there ( Zahra Saeed), and they need to bring it harder next time.

I do appreciate the effort, though.

P.S. for the Penn Students, look who showed up!

Harold Haskins



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm the new Store Manager at Zahra Saeed! I saw where you mentioned her and I thought you'd be interested in her NEW SPRING 2010 LOOK BOOK to feature on your blog!

email:erin@zahrasaeed.com
blog: zahrasaeed.wordpress.com

Post a Comment

leave a comment about anything !