Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Knock Off Wars

Ok, so lately things have gotten a little crazy with knock offs. I am guessing the reasons for this BOOM in the knock off industry is because of the recession, but I think that should be all the more reason why people refrain from knock offs. The designers of the original thing have to eat too, ya know.

( Trovata is suing Forever 21, Forever 21 top row, Trovata bottom)

( Alexander McQueen Suing Steven Madden. McQueen left, Steve Madden right)
Before I remember the knock offs being very limited to accessories, purses, belts, bracelets, and the like. But now a days the knock offs have soared to a new level. Stores are knock off clothing within the months of their debut on the runways. Up and Coming designers are learning the tricks to knock off early in their careers. ( Remember Jimmy from " The Fashion Show" on Bravo?)
( Lanvin Left, Jimmy Right)


The word knock off has such a negative connotation, you would thing the merchandise was being sold on the streets, but no. Huge chains such as Zara, Steve Madden and Forever 21 make their living from knocking off designers. They like to call themselves derivativities or imitatettes, whatever the heck that means.

The CFDA has tried everything they can to try and stop the knocker-offers, but the AAFA ( American Apparel and Footwear Association) would not support the bill they proposed, which would make it nearly impossible to get it passed in Congress. What the CFDA needs is some fashion driven law makers on THE HILL in order to help them tackle this problem that is growing bigger than ever in these tough economical times.


I believe that regardless of the times, knock offs should not be the go to gear for shoppers. There are stores that make very nice, original designs INSPIRED by the runway for cheap, like Payless or J.Crew. I know personally, I would feel more proud to wear something that was inspired than something that was blatantly copied.

Another alternative option is to go to stores that feature a low cost designers collection. For example, H & M partnered up with Viktor & Rolf, Matthew Williamson and soon Jimmy Choo. Target has worked with Isaac Mizrahi, and Kohls works with Vera Wang. Even Macy's features a lower priced version of Rachel Roy's designs. These are places that are embarrassing the designer and giving them a chance to reach a lower priced market while still remaining original.


I think fakes take away from a key aspect of high fashion designs: exclusivity. Now a days people want things fast and cheap, it's really a reflection of the times. To me, the moment I get to hold a real Birkin bag on my arm and claim it is mine will be a very special time in my life. But if I already brought 4 fakes Birkins from Sketchy McSketchum off the corner, then what would it matter. For some people, like me , it is a very touchy subject.


I can remember watching one of those hidden camera shows when I witnessed the most disturbing thing in my life. At a high end department store there were some men who were delivering merchandise to the storage. While in the back, the men where switching DESIGNER hand bags with fakes. Now can you image going to the store and laying down $1,000 for a fake. I would just die.

Just remember the people that are loosing out when you buy the fake instead of the original; the designers, seamstresses, stores, sales people. Instead of spend $5 dollars on a knock off shirt, why don't you save your money for a real piece of designer clothing that will last you forever. You can hand it down to your children and tell them stories about when you once wore it.


Also remember that designer clothing doesn't give you status, like some people seem to believe. Status is something that you earn, not something that you buy.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Along with putting up with the cheap quality of knock offs, buying knock off supports over seas sweat factories. I don't think anything is worse than knowing your Coach is a fake and on top of that knowing little kids are working for about 2 cents a day, if they are lucky, just to make that nice little knock off...

Victoria said...

wow, great thing to point out... How could I have forgotten that ?

Anonymous said...

"Have it Forever and pass down to Your Children"?...are You for REAL..?! Fashion is ALWAYS Changing at a lightning pace! Something bought today , will be passe' Tommorrow. I personally mix and match knock-off with Authentic. NOW is the time to buy knock-offs because they are getting Impossible to tell the difference and have to get an up-close inspection and have a highly trained eye to catch some of the better knock-offs out there. I buy the Authentic items that will hold for a while that aren't so "Faddish". I buy knock-off's of the Items that I suspect will be here today and maybe a few tomorrows as well
I was so upset when I found out My friend who had the exact same bag I did was hauling around a knock-off for about a year and I didn't even suspect it. When She told Me that She had Paid $180.00 for Her handbag and I had paid $1,370.00 for mine and even upon close inspection couldn't tell the difference. Since then, My opinion and critique of the knock-off market has changed. I love the idea that I can have a quality item that gets many compliments at a price I can really afford. I don't think everything I own should be either thrift store or wash and wear out of K-mart just because I don't make $300,000.00 per Year. I mean I am not bashing designers at all here but I think their REAL client base isn't phased by this at all.. I highly doubt I'm gonna run into any Rich & Famous Celebrities, Political Figures, or anyone else of stature out of the back of a truck Wheelin'& Dealin'..?

These types are the REAL client Base for the Design Houses.. the People Who are Fortunate enough to have the Carreer or Marriage, or Family or just plain luck to have a income of $200,000.00 a year or more, NOT the girl at the bus stop Who is werkin' Her knock-off Louis Vuitton Bag. Yes, there are cheap quality knock-off's out there, but a little know how and quality check on the items will save you a lot of worry. Some of My knock-offs have turned out to be of better quality than My Authentic stuff...The Quality and Workmanship of knock-offs has improved by leaps and bounds. These aren't Your Grandma's knock-off's.

Anonymous said...

What ever happened to:

"Imitation is the best form of Flattery"


?

Victoria said...

first of all, the context of that quote has nothing to do with this post, second it is " Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," third the quote say imitation not "exact replication." Exact replication would be considered, plagiarism in Charles Caleb Colton's field of work, and here patent violation.


Also, to the first anonymous poster, yes " have it forever and pass it down to your children." If you have read my blog before you would know i do not operate on fashion, I operate on style. Things that are stylish to a person, will never be "passe' " as you put it. People who dress based on fads have to worry about that, which seems to be your case. Something that I would pass on to my child would be a Chanel Jersey Wool suit, or an Yves Saint Laurent dress which will never, EVER be "passe'."


And your idea that fake purses are getting harder to tell apart is right, to the untrained eye, which are usually the people purchasing these bags. You purchasing real and fake bags shows where you interests lie, which is in looking good for others and not yourself. I would rather save all my money and buy the real thing, than spend a few dollars on a fake and have it fall apart 2 months later.

Also, it really saddens me that you throw "marriage" in there as a factor to whether someone buys designer or not. What has society come to?

Buying real designer material does not require $200,000 a year because you do not have to wear all designer clothing. There are clothing stores ( which are in the post) which have excellent quality and aesthetic value.

So my conclusion stands that I am against knock offs.

Thanks for reading .

Post a Comment

leave a comment about anything !