Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Behind the "Style Icon": Mariel Haenn



Mariel Haenn is the perfect example of a stylist under wraps. She has unmistakably changed the look of pop icon Rihanna from girl-next-door to girl-that-would-never-live-any-where-near-you-because-she-is-too-famous.

With a recent birthday (May 25, 1979) she just reached her 30 year old mile-stone, but she looks no where over 23. She had her birthday bash at the Roosevelt Penthouse in LA ,with the theme being Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, this past Saturday and from her facebook and twitter messages, it was an epic party.

A little on her background: Mari ( can I call her that? ) attended the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale in the class of 2000. This half Puerto Rican chica has made her way in and through the celebrity and fashion community. She has worked with starts like Jada and Will Smith, Ciara, Kanye, and most inspiring, Rihanna. She told Latina.Com that her favorite Latino designer would be Esteban Cortazar, who had his own line and is now creative director for Emanuel Ungaro ( who is now trying to work with Lindsey Lohan... idk if that's a wise decision but...). Some of the designers she is feeling are Christian Dior, YSL, Zac Posen and Givenchy.

I absolutely wish I had more info to share about Mariel, but she simply has no information about her on the Internet. I had to dig through her facebook and twitter account to scoop up the information I have found.

Now what does that tell you about the industry?

It tells me that the people who are working the hardest behind the scenes of these "fashion-forward" stars get absolutely no play. For example, I googled her and all I got was mentions of her name and no pictures of her alone. That's a shame. She doesn't even have a WIKI page, seriously, why are we ignoring her. She is influencing the world in fashion and she doesn't even have a wiki. I am floored. I do have some pictures that I manage to dig up from her facebook and twitter.


( Mariel in the middle with her friends)

( Mariel on the left with her friend)

I have made an executive decision not to include photographs of her celebrity clients because I feel that it is completely unfair the lack of coverage she receives. I think she deserves something completely about her. I feel like she is someone we all need to be watching out for in the future because she has the potential to become even more important then she is today. After 8 powerful years in the industry, her presence in Hollywood has been felt and she will soon get the press she deserves. And please believe this will not be the last time you see her on my blog because she is that hot!
Mariel Haenn, stylist, costume designer the life of fashion as it is today, influencing those that influence to masses. Luv ya girl and keep up the good work!

Adios!
P.S. Visit her website HERE to see pictures of her work. It is a fabulous showcase. Also Check her out on TWITTER, she is always letting everyone know her projects and random updates on her life in the fashion-lane.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree! Amazing stylist.. It seems like she doesn't get any credit for it but that is not completely true. In the fashionworld (outside of the celebrity/spotlight world) people do know her and know her amazing sense for fashion.

But i agree that she should get more credit, especially for her work with Rihanna.

great blog!

-from Holland/Amsterdam

Victoria said...

Thanks so much for your comment. I agree... she has done such a great job giving Rihanna her image, I don't see why she doesn't get more credit. But I have a feeling that is going to change really soon.

Anonymous said...

you're welcome and yea i know me again.. I was checking out some other blogs on this (your) website.

But i have to say that for her sake i do hope you're right. But on the other hand i'm not sure.. Because this way she keeps her style really edgy, daring and different.
Makes me wonder what would happen if she gets like the celebrity status..

There are some stylists who's work i loved!! before they got famous, don't get me wrong i'm happy for them.. But i think because they really want to put themselves out there and make a name for themselves, they take chances and risks.
Then again.. Miss Haenn has been around for a while and still has that edge that makes her outfits so awesome.

Sorry for the long comment :p Keep it up!

-from Holland/Amsterdam

Post a Comment

leave a comment about anything !